Barrett Convocation Frequently Asked Questions
When is the next Barrett Convocation ceremony?"
The date for Fall Convocation is Monday, December 13th, 2021.
The date for Spring 2022 convocation has not been released yet. Please visit graduation.asu.edu for the most up to date information on University Ceremonies.
Where is Convocation?
Fall Convocation will be hosted at Grady Gammage Auditorium on the Tempe Campus.
What do I need to do to prepare for Fall 2021 graduation?
Apply for graduation and pay your fees by October 1st, 2021. Apply online for graduation by going to myASU and clicking the "Graduation" tab in the My Programs & eAdvisor box. Please note that a credit card is required. If you do not apply and pay your fee by October 1st, there are additional late fees and your name is not guaranteed in the printed program.
Complete the Barrett Graduation Form - Go to myASU and click the "Graduation" tab in the My Programs & eAdvisor box. Click on “RSVP for Ceremonies” link; on this page you will see forms for each of your colleges including Barrett.
The Online Grad Fair will run from Friday, October 15 at 7 a.m. MST to Sunday, October 24 at 9 p.m. MST. Keep an eye on your inbox on Friday, Oct. 15 for the unique URL you will need to be able to access your discounted graduation packages. You can purchase your graduation package online before Nov 15. Please note, after the Online Grad Fair, graduation packages will be full price. Commemorative maroon and gold tassels are also available. All items can be purchased via the Herff Jones online store. For questions about the Online Grad Fair, you can email email@example.com or call 480-219-3247. For information about the history of the academic costume, visit the American Council on Education Web site.
Plan to attend the wonderful ceremonies:
- Barrett, the Honors College Convocation
Monday, December 13th, 12:00 p.m., Gammage Auditorium, Tempe Campus
- Undergraduate Commencement
Monday, December 13th, 3:00 p.m., Sun Devil Stadium, Tempe Campus
- Deadline Summary
- October 1st File for graduation deadline
- November 5th Deadline to submit Marching Order form for inclusion in Barrett Convocation Program
- November 12 Fall Thesis deadline
- November 18th deadline to submit Marching Order form for participation at Barrett Convocation (without print inclusion)
- December 13th, 2021 – Fall Barrett Convocation ceremony, 12:00 p.m., Gammage Auditorium
What is the difference between Graduate Commencement, Undergraduate Commencement and Convocation?
- GRADUATE COMMENCEMENT is the University ceremony where President Crow confers degrees upon all ASU graduate students (Master's and Doctoral candidates).
- UNDERGRADUATE COMMENCEMENT is where President Crow will confer degrees upon all ASU undergraduate students (Bachelor's candidates).
- CONVOCATION is a celebratory ceremony where students are individually recognized by the college for their academic achievement. This is the ceremony where student names are called as they cross the stage and receive their diploma cover.
Who may walk in the Barrett Convocation
Barrett graduates who turn in their final signed honors thesis/creative project are eligible to participate in the ceremony. Please contact your Barrett Academic Adviser to confirm eligibility at 480-965-9155 prior to the week of the ceremony.
How long is the Convocation ceremony?
The Barrett Fall Convocation ceremony will last approximately 90 minutes.
Is there a limit to the number of guests at Convocation? Do guests need tickets for the Convocation ceremony?
Tickets are NOT required for the Barrett Fall Convocation Ceremony.
How do I file (or apply) for graduation? What does that mean?"
Filing (or applying) for graduation tells the University that you plan to graduate this semester and have all of the credits and coursework completed to qualify. The Fall 2021 Graduation Filing Deadline is October 1, 2021.
- Undergraduate: $50 ($25 for each additional concurrent degree)
- Graduate: $50 ($25 for each additional concurrent degree)
- Late fee, if applicable: $35
- Duplicate Diploma Fee: $35
Where do I get my cap and gown?
Graduates must wear an official ASU cap and gown during the Convocation ceremony. See http://colleges.herffjones.com/college/_arizonastate/ for information about graduation regalia. The Fall 2021 Online Grad Fair will run from Friday, October 15 at 7 a.m. MST to Sunday, October 24 at 9 p.m. MST. Keep an eye on your inbox on Friday, Oct. 15 for the unique URL you will need to be able to access your discounted graduation packages. You can purchase your graduation package online before Nov 15. Please note, after the Online Grad Fair, graduation packages will be full price. Commemorative maroon and gold tassels are also available. All items can be purchased via the Herff Jones online store. For questions about the Online Grad Fair, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 480-219-3247. Don't want to wait? You can purchase your cap and gown at any Sun Devil Campus Store now.
What should I wear with my cap and gown?
Graduates are encouraged to dress 'business professional' under their cap and gown for ceremonies. Please be careful when choosing footwear. Please visit University Ceremonies website for more information about academic regalia.
I think I'm supposed to have an honor cord- what is this? Where do I get it?
Honor cords are for undergraduates who have earned at least 56 credit hours of resident credit at ASU. Your current GPA as verified at the time you request your honor cords will determine which cords you are given. For more information, visit https://students.asu.edu/graduation-ceremonies.Pick up honor cords at any University Registrar Services location.
ASU Online Students: After you apply to graduate you will receive an email with additional information about honor cords and ceremonies.
What time should I arrive at Gammage Auditorium? Where do we meet?
Gammage Auditorium doors will open one hour prior to the ceremony for both graduates and guests. Graduates will receive an email with detailed instructions on where and when to report for the processional in December. Graduates will report by 11:00 a.m. wearing cap and gown with business attire, and comfortable shoes. Graduates should not bring purses or valuables as there is no place to secure them. We expect graduates to be in place in line no later than 45 minutes before the ceremony so that the processional can begin on time.
Will I get my diploma at Commencement or Convocation?
Diplomas will be mailed approximately 7-10 weeks after the end of the semester to the permanent address on file with the registrar's office. At Convocation, you will receive a diploma cover with a letter from the Dean.
Will my photo or video be taken during Convocation? Is there a professional photographer or videographer?
Professional photographers from Grad Images will take photos of graduates as they process onto stage and as they cross stage and accept their diploma cover. These photos are available for purchase after the ceremony. Grad Images will email all graduates with information about the photos that were taken within 48 hours of the ceremony. For more information, visit their website at http://www.gradimages.com/.
What if I need special accommodations?
If you (the graduate) need special accommodations or have a disability, please indicate on your Marching Order form and we will arrange to accommodate your needs.
If one of your guests will need special accommodations, please inform them that they will need to arrive early (doors open one hour prior to the start of the ceremony) and staff at Gammage Auditorium will assist them with special seating. Gammage Auditorium is wheelchair accessible. Seating for patrons with a physical disability is available in all facilities.
Where should I park?
How can I stay connected to Barrett after graduation?
- Visit the Barrett website for upcoming events.
- Be part of an insider group of alumni and friends and join the Young Alumni Dean’s Club. You can read about the benefits here. For questions about the Dean’s Club, contact Chelsie Bruggeman at Chelsie.Bruggeman@asu.edu or join from right here on our website.
- If you are interested in serving as an alumni volunteer at Barrett, contact Christien Crynes at Christien.Crynes@asu.edu
- Share updated contact information to receive news and alumni invitations to special events. Send your contact info to Christien Crynes at Christien.Crynes@asu.edu
How can I join the ASU Alumni Association?
To join the ASU Alumni Association, visit their website.
How can I order graduation invitations or announcements for my family and friends?
The ASU Bookstore has custom graduation invitations and announcements available for purchase.
If I still have questions about all of this, what do I do?
- For questions regarding your eligibility to graduate from Barrett, contact your Barrett Advising Office
[Tempe and Poly: 480-965-9155] [Downtown: 602-496-0557] [West Campus: 602-543-4503]
- For any questions regarding the Fall 2021 Convocation ceremony email email@example.com