Summer Research Aide
- Experience with technical fieldwork in forestry, wildlife, or other areas of natural resources.
- Current undergraduate student in biology, ecology, wildlife, or related fields with knowledge of wildlife or natural resource research and survey techniques.
- Experience handling reptiles and amphibians.
- Experience working in remote field conditions.
- Experience working independently.
- Effective communication skills.
The College of Integrative Sciences and Arts, Math and Science Department at ASU’s Polytechnic campus is seeking an undergraduate student with a background in biology, ecology, or related-field to assist with faculty and graduate student research. The research includes documenting the Arizona toad within the Mogollon Rim portion of its Arizona range. The project is funded through the Arizona Game and Fish Department Heritage Grant Program and awarded to the College of Integrative Sciences and Arts at ASU Polytechnic campus.
The Research Aide will assist with an ecology research project on the status of the Arizona toad throughout Arizona. The ideal candidate will perform field data collection, measurements on animals, data entry and proofing, and must exhibit good judgment to work independently in remote areas. Be prepared for difficult field conditions (hot temperatures, aquatic hiking, long hours, etc.).
The successful candidate must be available to work the following hours mostly during summer and as needed May-Sept: 10 to 25 hours per week from April 1 to Aug 15.
This position is a great opportunity for an undergraduate to gain valuable experience collecting field data and participate in important research!
- Handle, measure, and identify amphibians and reptiles (namely Arizona toad).
- Likely to encounter venomous species.
- Navigate habitat and vegetation in riparian corridors.
- Responsible for equipment management and cleaning.
- Operate a handheld GPS unit and Android tablet.
- Perform long hours of strenuous work under difficult environmental conditions.
- Must exhibit good judgment and ability to work independently in remote areas.
- Write clearly and take comprehensive notes on data sheets/mobile devices.
- Data entry and data proofing in spreadsheet software.
- Complete all ASU training.
- Other duties as assigned.
Read more about the position qualifications and apply at https://students.asu.edu/employment/search.
Job ID: 65915BR