FAQs - Polytechnic

Home / Student Life / Housing / Frequently Asked Questions / FAQs - Polytechnic

The honors residential community on the Polytechnic campus is currently housed in Century Hall and South Desert Village. In Fall 2020, the Barrett Polytechnic residential community will be moving into a newly constructed residential hall. In partnership with ASU Housing, Barrett works to create a supportive environment for all residents. Should you have any additional questions that are not addressed below, please email Jennifer Brady at jbrady@asu.edu.

General FAQs

I am a second-year Barrett student; do I have to live in the Barrett residential community?

Barrett, The Honors College, offers a distinctive four-year residential experience. Barrett students live in the honors community at the ASU campus of their major for their first two years, and many choose to stay all four years to take advantage of the world-class amenities and on-campus convenience. 

Second-year Barrett students continue to live in the honors residential community at the ASU campus of their primary academic major.

Can I choose which campus to live on?

All Arizona State University students live on the campus of their primary academic major. Barrett students live in the honors community at the ASU campus of their primary major.

Are the floors in the Barrett Residential College Community mixed sex?

Yes, but in Century Hall (and in the residential hall under construction) males and females do not share a room or bathroom, just common hall space. In South Desert Village, each house is designated as male or female. The university offers gender-inclusive housing accommodations for interested students. More information about this option can be found online.

Is alcohol allowed in the Barrett Residential College for those that are 21?

Alcohol is not permitted on any of the ASU campuses or in any of the residential communities, including Barrett.

Where is the closest parking?

Residential parking is available near Century Hall. Visit the Parking and Transit Services website for more information about how to purchase a Residential Parking Permit.

For upper division students who reside in South Desert Village, parking is assigned and included in your housing reservation.

What are the ASU Housing Rates?

ASU housing rates for the 2019-20 academic year can be found online. Rates for the new residential hall at Polytechnic have not yet been set for the 2020-21 academic year. 

Barrett Residential Amenities

What furniture is included in the rooms?

Century Hall: Rooms include a Twin XL adjustable height bed, desk and chair, and lockable wardrobe. 

South Desert Village: Twin XL beds in standard bedrooms, with fill sized beds in master bedrooms; desk and chair, washer/dryer, kitchen appliances, sofa and living space furniture, dining table and chairs.

2020-21 Academic Year: Details to come. 

Is there married housing?

Family housing is available at the ASU Polytechnic campus.

Dining and Meal Plans

Am I required to have a Barrett meal plan?

2019-20 Academic Year: Students residing in Century Hall are required to purchase an ASU meal plan ("Barrett" meal plans are specific to residents living on the Tempe campus and should be purchased only by Tempe students). Students in South Desert Village have access to full kitchens within their houses and are therefore not required to purchase a meal plan. However, upper division students are encouraged to purchase an upper division meal plan for convenience during the week.

2020-21 Academic Year: All students residing in the new Barrett residential hall will be required to purchase an ASU meal plan.

Barrett/University Housing Staff

How is the Barrett Residential College community staffed?

Community Directors live in the Residential Halls and Neighborhoods to provide 24/7 support to students.There are two professional full-time University Housing staff embedded in Barrett residential communities. In addition, student Community Assistants and Barrett residential student leaders provide additional support within the honors residential community.

What is the process to become a Community Assistant?

It is not uncommon for several Barrett students to apply for Community Assistant positions because they provide students with necessary leadership and conflict resolution skills that can be further developed in any professional environment. CAs receive room and board, as well as a stipend. There is a comprehensive application process that interested individuals are required to complete, including an in-person interview process.

Questions should be directed to Jennifer Brady at jbrady@asu.edu or University Housing professional staff.

What is the process to become a Barrett Residential Student Leader?

Barrett Residential Student Leaders focus on creating an inclusive, welcoming community for honors residents, as well as creating a well-rounded schedule of events designed to promote wellness, service, and connections between Barrett students, the university, and the surrounding community. Students may apply for this position during the spring semester before the academic year appointment. For more information, contact Jennifer Brady at jbrady@asu.edu.

Who should I contact with a facilities request?

Students should submit a maintenance request for any facilities online.

Who should I contact with a roommate concern?

Students should contact their Community Director, Rebecca Folk in South Desert Village, or Kandace Irvine in Century Hall.

I am an incoming Barrett student, who should I contact with Housing questions?

If you are an incoming first-semester freshman or transfer student, please contact Natalie Young at Natalie.D.Young@asu.edu with any questions related to the FAQs.

New Barrett Students - Housing Application Process

How do students apply for housing?

All students must apply online to live on campus by going to the ASU University Housing web page or through the housing portal on their myASU page by logging in with their ASURITE ID and password. 

I was just accepted to Barrett but have already selected a room in another community. How do I change that?

Students can adjust their housing assignment once admitted to Barrett online through the housing portal on their My ASU page during housing selection. If you log into the portal and cannot see Barrett residence halls, please email University Housing at housing@asu.edu or call (480) 965-3515.

I am an upper division student, and I noticed that there is an additional fee. What is that?

All University Housing & Residential Life students must read and electronically or physically sign the University Housing License Agreement. For upper division students, a nonrefundable Housing and Dining Confirmation fee will be automatically billed to their ASU student account and due immediately. This fee is for processing, preparing, and reserving your housing preferences. This is not considered a contract fee and is due regardless of whether an actual housing assignment is made. 

Are there any situations where a student might live for only one semester in Barrett?

If a student needs to leave any time during the academic year, they must petition for a release from their License Agreement. Students should inform their Community Director. Typical justifications for a License Agreement Release (LAR) include extraordinary financial or medical hardship, study abroad opportunities, withdrawal/transfer/graduation from ASU, academic internship sponsored by ASU, and military duty activation.

Barrett Residential Safety/Access

Safety is a top priority in Barrett, and we invite you to be proactive and learn about safety in both the residence halls and on the ASU campus.