At Barrett, we value the connection between our public service and involvement within our local, national, and global communities. True impact is achieved through an ongoing commitment that is rooted in our practices, cultures, and values. This impact is created by enabling students to explore and understand their responsibilities as members of a sustainable and socially embedded campus.
What is Community Action?
• Connection - embracing commonalities & differences
• Integration - community gatherings with local circles (families, businesses, centers)
• Education - history (written & oral), archives, law & policy
• Political Engagement - individual action & responsibilities, town halls, voting, understanding government structures (local & national)
• Resources - clinics, centers, departments, organizations that exist to support the community’s needs
Community Action stretches beyond volunteering your time every once-in-a-while. It is first and foremost about our connection with, understanding of, and integration into our communities. Its roots contain historical context collected through archives, oral histories, and written truths. Its impact stems from our understanding of our own democratic society, government structures and proximity to the local electoral process. Its future relies on our commitment to the adoption and blossoming of a new, sustainable lifestyle that prioritizes the collective wellbeing of ALL of our neighbors and ALL of ourselves above all else, regardless of whatever soil we may stand on.
Barrett Blood Drives