- Presentation and summary of the thesis/creative project. Format, content, and length are determined by the Director and standards of the content area. Plan to review the origins of the project, its scope, the methodology used, significant findings, and conclusions.
- Submit final draft to the committee at least two weeks before the defense. Allow time for revisions leading up to the defense.
- Work with your committee to set a defense and report to Barrett using the Honors Defense and Thesis Approval form. Once submitted, your Director will automatically be emailed an approval link on the date of your defense.
- All committee members must participate in the defense.
- Group projects: Each student is required to submit an individual Honors Defense and Thesis Approval form. All group members must participate in the defense.
- Defenses are open to the ASU community and published to the Defense Calendar.
- Following the presentation, committee members will ask questions about issues raised in the work, choices made in the research, and any further outcomes.
- At the conclusion of the discussion, the committee will convene to provide an outcome that will determine next steps.
- Minor format/editorial corrections may be suggested.
- Director will report approval using the Final Thesis Approval link emailed to them on the defense date.
- Your next step is to upload your approved final project to the Barrett Digital Repository.
Provisional Approval (Common outcome)
- More significant revisions required.
- Once revisions are complete, Director will report approval using the Final Thesis Approval link emailed to them on the defense date.
- Your next step is to upload your approved final project to the Barrett Digital Repository after revisions are approved.
Not approved (Least common outcome)
- Basic design and/or overall execution of the thesis/creative project is significantly flawed.
- The Director and committee may continue working with the student to make major revisions. You should discuss this with committee and Honors Advisor about implications on Barrett graduation.